Monday, January 23, 2012

Loop de loop

Life is a giant loop de loop, and it takes money to keep on riding that roller coaster. And while some say that life isn't all about money - well, you can declaim the idea that money matters, but honey, if you want to enjoy life, you have to have the money to pay for it. And thus, our lives are spent in pursuit of the money we need to pay for the lives we live. Everyone has bills to pay, everyone has the basics to buy. Money may not be the reason you get up in the morning, but you've got to admit, it is a mighty powerful motivator. 

My husband makes a good income, but in this economy, things are tight and every dollar counts. Though I don't get paid for being a stay at home mom (or my preferred term, "Domestic Engineer") I know I contribute tons. I do everything for everyone, run the household, run the kids to their activities, and run - run - run to get it all done. But now that my girls are in school full-time, I got a job. And when I received my first paycheck it was a great feeling. But now my hours at home are limited, and I'm feeling the pressure of still having to do it all - but in less time. And it got me thinking about the things that I really and truly value, since my time is more valuable these days. 

I have a friend I know who works two jobs. She's this teeny little slip of a woman, but inside, she is tough as steel. And this woman has a daughter. She likes to keep her daughter busy after school - lots of extra curricular's - piano lessons, sports, creative things. This woman is deliberate in how she is raising her child - and she does not want her girl sitting around like a lump, but instead, shapes her daughter's free time. And I look at my kids and think, gosh, I must be a slacker mom. My younger daughter is taking gymnastics and basketball, my older does drama and dance. But that's all they do. Because that's all we can afford to do.



My friend busts her chops between her two jobs so she can pay for the many activities her daughter is involved in. These things cost money. Lots of it. For example - you enroll a kid in a drama class. You pay for the class. Then you pay for whatever gear they need for the weeks/months they are in the class (dance shoes, leotards, etc.) Then you pay for the costumes they will need for the performance. Then when their performance comes up, you pay for tickets. Let's not forget about all the gas to get these kids to their activities, back and forth, back and forth, plus the time involved spent shuttling them to the activities, and being there - whether involved, or just waiting - during those activities. 



Seems as parents we pay through the nose when our kids are involved in activities. So my question: are all of these activities necessary to develop our kids into well-rounded adults? Or is having some free time, down time, mindless game-playing, chip-munchin' time okay, too?

How much is enough? How much is TOO much? I remember being involved in sports when I was a kid. I was very athletic. It was my thing and I enjoyed it. But I don't remember being dragged to activities just to keep me busy. I remember having plenty of playtime, plenty of free time to just hang out and play in my neighborhood with my friends. And I grew up okay.

I'm not saying that kids shouldn't be involved in activities. But if we have to work a second job just to pay for those activities - and then not be able to be with our family because we are working so hard, trying to pay those endless bills ... I have to ask, "Is is worth it?" This endless loop de loop of busyness? Of forced activity for the sake of itself? 

Or is it better to maybe not focus on the money so much, to not go - go - go all the time? To slow down ... breathe a little easier ... without all the rushing. And maybe, just maybe, spend a little more time with the ones we love. As for me, I realize how valuable my time is now. And I want to spend the time I have available, with those I value the most. 



10 comments:

  1. I totally agree, the best things in life are free, and even if its a walk over the park, or a run along the beach, children do not need to have loads of money spent on them to have fun! Family life is just as good as spending loads of activities that at times we cannot afford!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family time....PRICELESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember those days of working two and three jobs just to get through tough times. I was a single mom for the first 8 years of my sons life, and we went through some really hard times, now, when I think back, I wouldn't do anything differently. I chalk it up to life experience. I will say this, when I did work, I managed to get more done at home then I do now, being retired. My priorities have changed, and that is a good thing. Good luck Judy!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids these days have too much money spent on them and they take it for granted. When i was a kid we played all sorts of games outside in the fresh air AND of course it was free. Gone are the days when you saw kids outside playing together.I brought my kids up single handed on benefits for much of their lives but they come to no harm. Life was a struggle with little money but hey we survived.

    This is Lynda Burns by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy, I am going to share a few links from my blog's archives.

    The first thing I want to say is that not doing a zillion things doesn't mean doing nothing. Your kids can do good things with their free time at home. I keep hearing that what keeps kids interested in learning and off drugs and not drinking and not pregnant as teens is when they know their passion and do things to support that. You don't have to have your kids do everything, maybe one thing. Some good things are done solitary at home. You have to provide some of the things at home and not just let them sit around and twiddle their thumbs or they'll turn into those slacker kids who seek thrills later by mischief and trying drugs, fooling around with sex with neighbor kids etc etc.

    At the other end of the spectrum I know tweens and teens who are so busy they don't know who they are, just do what others say, like lemmings, they can't think for themselves, are run ragged meeting deadlines. To escape the pressure those kids wind up cheating at schoolwork to save study time, trying drugs, drinking and some wind up with anxiety and depression and eating disorders and cutting themselves and all kinds of terrible stuff. It's a real shame.

    Well read this to start, with quotes from a book "The Overscheduled Child".

    http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/2007/09/highlights-and-my-comments-of-over.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. My blog post Thoughts on Kindergarchy

    http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-kindergarchy.html

    (Have you read the Epstein essay on Kindergarchy? If not there is a link in there.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must watch the documentary Race to Nowhere about over-scheduled (schooled) teens in America. IT was being shown at private screenings such as paid for by private schools or colleges or town's libraries and then after sometimes there are panel discussions. I attended one of those in CT which was interesting.

    Here is one more blog post for you with a YouTube video of one of those after panel talks about depression doubling in the last 5 years in Anerica.

    There are more Race to Nowhere panel talks on YouTube if you want more.

    Click my parenting label or over-scheduled label if you want to read more of my blog posts.

    http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/2012/01/depression-doubled-in-last-5-years-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think BlogHer opened their applications up again. Check it out. Then you can get a small monthly income from putting one ad in your sidebar (or you can put more around to earn even more).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ChristineMM! I will have to check it all out! :D

      Delete

Got a comment? Here's your box!