Sunday, October 23, 2011

Patience Unraveling


Long lines and short tempers...  instant coffee in the microwave... frozen “convenience” foods that cater to the “I need it yesterday” mentality as a culture. I’m late! I’m late! I’m late! we scream as we dash out into rush-hour traffic. Seems like everyone’s patience these days is worn thin with all the hurrying, scurrying and worrying.

Patience. That’s one of those little ‘object lessons’ that I definitely object to. I’ll give you an example. I found a cool decoration for our basement rec room, one of those retro beaded curtains that hang in a doorway. 
I wanted to string them along the open space going down our cellar stairs.

The individual beaded cords had to come off the hanging rod, since the area was wider than the rod. So I did that. But then … those beady little strings managed to get intertwined into a big, knotted mess. It was unbelievable. I had to disentangle each twisted string from the heap.

So, naturally, I copped an attitude while I was doing this. What is the point of this … nothing is ever easy... why, Lord, whhhyyyyy? Thoughts turn cosmic when things make no sense.

But after a while, I got into a groove working on those silly strings, unraveling the knots one at a time as if they were wound into a kind of puzzle. And rather than hang on to my frustration, I began to see that even the most ridiculous of situations can be turned into a lesson in patience.

It's one of the "fruits of the spirit" talked about in the Bible (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness... found in Galatians 5:22-23) we often think we acquire instantaneously when we begin a relationship with God. But fruit takes time to ripen and grow, time to cultivate its sweetness. There’s no shortcut, no easy way to learn patience. It must be developed in us. And that only happens when we allow God to teach us through the trials (major, minor, or just plain annoying) that we experience daily. 

No express lane thinking for me, thanks. I’d much rather take the scenic route, and learn to enjoy my life instead of just rushing through it.

Well, the beaded curtain did get up after a while... and I have to say... 
it looks great. Though only a small lesson in patience, it may yet prove handy. Winter’s not too far away. And I can’t wait to see what our box of Christmas lights looks like.

9 comments:

  1. Patience is not a virtue I've attained, says my wife, and I should work on it. Okay, you've encouraged me to take another shot at it. I've two minutes and a half to get this off before supper before my wife comes after me with a rolling pin. No, she'd never do that... Let me patiently add that the kid in the picture has to be a clone of my grandson! Same age, behavior, and love of bir...BONG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooouwch! That had to hurt, John! I haven't attained much patience, either... but I still keep getting plenty of opportunities for me to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing about patience is I thought I was teaching it to my kids when all along they were teaching it to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so funny, realistic, and laugh out loud true! tx for sharing.
    Gunner Scots ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Judy, just when something is being a issue for us, something or someone comes along to put us in our place in a gentle way. Thank God for his kind nudge to us in the proper direction. Patience has been popping up all over the place for me this week while trying to get the new page up for Soy Blessing's launch this coming week. (Soy blend wax tart melts). A passion of mine!https://www.facebook.com/SoyBlessingsCo. God is good all the time. Be blessed friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. PLEASE keep this up, Judy - you bring to mind things we know but so desparately have to be reminded of - see you Thursday night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really liked reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always a great subject! I do not pray for patience anymore--because it is learned through tribulation--I try to go with the flow~~working through what I need to at the time. xx, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the blog Judy!! My patience level is not very high either,something I need to work on. Thanks for reminding me!!

    ReplyDelete

Got a comment? Here's your box!